How prepared are you to provide pull-through strategies for the imminent Beers Criteria updates?
American Geriatrics Society Updates the Beers Criteria
In April, the American Geriatrics Society (AGS) posted a draft update to the Beers Criteria for Potentially Inappropriate Medication Use in Older Adults. The draft was available on the AGS website for public comment until May 5; the final version is scheduled to be published in July. Along with the updated criteria, a companion piece will be released on the best way for patients, providers, and health systems to use the new criteria.
Keeping Up with Quality Metric Changes
The Pharmacy Quality Alliance (PQA) in coordination with the National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA) has selectively implemented portions of the Beers Criteria in its translation process to CMS-measured quality measures. PQA and NCQA jointly maintain performance measures in which, when updating, they consider AGS recommendations and revisions to the Beers Criteria.
The Beers Criteria updates potentially represent a fundamental change in the Star Rating measurement process, which will impact high-risk medication identification systems, outreach modalities, and educational tools and programs.
What Does This Mean for You?
- Potentially significant changes to the Beers Criteria list will require additional refinement of “use criteria”
- Addition of drug-drug interactions and dose modifications due to renal impairment
- Additional communication and education to your clients/members will be critical
Pinnacle Health Communications, LLC Can Help You Navigate Evolving Measures Now
- We provide tailored strategic, educational and marketing solutions for managed markets payers
- Pinnacle offers Medicare expertise and experience to develop clear and compelling solutions for you and your clients
- We create programs tailored to the needs of payers and members, using your current infrastructure and asset base
If you would like to hear more about how Pinnacle can help you, please contact us.